Idli and sambar- a very common dish in Indian houses.But I gave it a twist by preparing idlis in microwave and preparing sambar without sambar powder.
Try out this simple yet mouth-watering recipe of the combo dish.
For The Batter
- Semolina (rava)-1cup
- Curd (dahi)-1/4cup
- Chopped coriander (dhania)-1tbsp
- Salt- to taste
For The Tempering
- Mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)-1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds (jeera)-1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing)-a pinch
- Chana dal-1 tsp
- Broken cashewnuts (kaju)-1tsp
- Curry leaves (kadi patta)-4 to 6pcs
- Green chillies , chopped-2pcs
- Oil-1 tsp
- Ghee-1/2 tsp
- Unflavoured fruit salt-3/4 tsp
- Oil- for greasing
For the batter
- Combine all ingredients together, other than the fruit salt and leave aside for 10 minutes.
For the tempering
- Combine the oil, ghee, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and asafoetida in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Add the cashewnuts, curry leaves, green chillies and microwave for 1 more minute.
- Pour 1 cup of water in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Grease the idli moulds using little oil.
- Add the tempering and the fruit salt to the batter and mix well.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of batter into each greased cavity of the idli moulds, place the moulds in the above microwave safe bowl and microwave, covered, on high for 2 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make idlis.
- Serve hot with sambhar.
- In case you don’t have microwave proof idli moulds, do the tempering process in gas and rest in idli cooker.
- Masoor daal-1/4cup
- Moong daal-1/4cup
- Chana daal-1/4cup
- Urad daal-1/4cup
- Mustard seed-1tsp
- Curry patta-9-10pcs
- Onion, chopped-2pcs
- Ginger-small piece
- Tomato, chopped-1/2 a piece
- Turmeric powder-2tsp
- Red Chilly powder-2tsp
- Coriander powder-2tsp
- Dry red chilly-2pcs
- Kashmiri red chilly powder-2tsp
- Tamarind paste-2tsp
- Salt-to taste
- Green chilly, chopped-2-3pcs
- Water-depends on consistency required
- Coriander-generous amount
- Boil all the daal together, keep aside.
- Take oil in kadal.
- Add mustard seed, curry patta, let it splutter.
- Add onion, fry till pink in colour.
- Add tomato and ginger, saute till tomato is cooked.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder and coriander powder, saute.
- Add little water so that masala don’t get burnt.
- Add boiled daal, water and green chillies and tamarind paste.
- Allow it to boil.
- Add salt.
- In the meantime, prepare a seasoning. Take oil, add dry red chillies and kashmiri red chilly powder, fry. Add it in the sambar.
- Add generous amount of coriander and serve hot.