Mandi is a traditional dish of Yemen made either with chicken or lamb. It is now popular among other Arab countries as well. Traditionally, the meat is slow cooked in a tandoor which makes the meat extremely tender and delicious, and served over aromatic rice.
- Chicken-half chicken
- Coriander seeds-1tsp
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Whole black peppercorn-1tsp
- Whole cardamom-1tsp+3pcs
- Whole cloves-1tsp+3pcs
- Whole cinnamon-1/4pc+1/4pc
- Bay leaf-2-3pcs
- Chicken Stock-1cup
- Salt-to taste
- Black pepper powder-1tsp
- Onion-1pc chopped
- Pierce the chicken with knife, keep aside.
- Dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds,whole black peppercorn, 1tsp whole cardamom, 1tsp whole cloves and 1/4pc of cinnamon. Cool it and then grind it.
- Marinade the chicken with above spice mix, salt, black pepper powder and butter for 12hrs in fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F for 20min.
- Grill the chicken one side for 20 min, flip it and again grill it for 20 min or till the chicken is soft and tender. Keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, take ghee, add onion, fry it, add the rice,3pcs of cardamom,3pcs of cloves and 1/4pc of whole cinnamon.
- Add chicken stock, close the lid of cooker and cook till 1 whistle. Switch off the flame, allow it to release the steam on its own.
- In a big utensil, add oil, place bay leaf, add the above half cooked rice, place the grilled chicken on top of it. Also add the juice that is released from the grilled chicken. Cover the utensil with foil.
- Switch on the gas in low flame for10-15min or till the rice is cooked.
- Serve hot with salad.
- You can also add fried raisins and beresta.