Goalondo was a small town in Bangladesh. For many years it was a major transportation hub to travel in eastern parts of Bengal and Assam. For someone to travel from Kolkata to Dhaka, the railway journey would stop at the banks of Padma river at Goalondo. From there, journey had to be continued by steamer boat overnight from Goalondo to Narayanganj to get on the next train to reach their destination. Essentially, the steamers connected the railway systems to travel to their respective destination.
Originated by the boatmen of “Goalondo-Narayanganj” steamers, Goalondo chicken curry is made with fresh chicken and basic spices. Boatmen used to cook the simple curry with basic ingredients for their meal during the overnight journey. During the time, the curry gradually became popular with the passengers too. It is also known as Boatmen-style chicken curry or Goalondo steamer curry.
- Garlic-3tbsp (chopped)
- Onion- 5pcs(roughly chopped)
- Red chilly whole- 4-5(chopped)
- Green chily-6-7(chopped)
- Turmeric powder-1tbsp
- Salt-to taste
- Mustard Oil-4tbsp
- Marinate the chicken with all the above ingredients for 1hour
- Take a thick bottom pan, add the marinated chicken, saute, cover.
- Cover and cook till the chicken is tender.
- Cook on low flame. Water will be released from onion, salt and chicken.
- If required, add water.
- Garnish with chopped green chilly.
- Enjoy with hot white rice.